Miller Research Professorship
Terms in Academic Year 2015-2016
- Open to Berkeley Faculty Only -
*Applications Being Accepted Online*
Deadline for Applications: September 18, 2014
The Advisory Board of the Miller Institute for Basic Research in Science welcomes faculty from the University of California Berkeley to submit an online application for a Miller Professorship term in the 2015-2016 academic year. The purpose of the Miller Professorship is to release members of the U.C. faculty from teaching and administrative duties and allow them to pursue research. Appointees are encouraged to follow promising leads that may develop in the course of their research effort whether or not they fall within the original research outline. Applications are judged competitively. Between five to eight awards are made annually.
Miller Professorships are available only to members of the faculty of the University of California, Berkeley campus. Applicants who are not members of the Berkeley faculty should seek affiliation with and a nomination through an academic department at Berkeley for the Visiting Miller Professorship Program.
Terms of Appointment
A Miller Professorship appointment is either the full academic year, beginning July 1, 2015, or one semester of Academic Year 2015-2016, the semester to be determined in consultation with the department. Semester appointments are from July 1, 2015 through December 31, 2015 or January 1, 2016 through June 30, 2016. Applicants desiring a full year appointment must provide adequate justification within the research proposal for the need of a full year rather than a semester. Terms:
- Miller Professors will retain their academic appointment in their home department, but will be placed on a modified status relieving recipients of teaching obligations during the appointment term. Awardees are expected to devote full time and effort to basic research.
- Miller Professors may opt for full release from campus service by agreeing not to accrue sabbatical credit while serving as a Miller Professor. If an awardee prefers to accrue sabbatical credit, an appropriate level of campus service will be negotiated with the home department.
- Miller Professors will have a 0% appointment with the Miller Institute.
- The Miller Institute will provide course buy-out funds directly to the home department chair.
- The Institute will provide an unrestricted research fund of $5000 per semester to each awardee to be used at the Miller Professor's discretion.
- Miller Professors are expected to participate in the "Miller Community" by attending the weekly Tuesday lunches, the annual dinner(s) and the annual symposium. They are encouraged to attend other social functions as they arise.
- Miller Professors will be encouraged to host one luncheon per semester for the Miller Fellows in their home department to stimulate interaction between the two programs.
- It is not appropriate for Miller Professors to give more than one or two outside lectures during the term of their professorship, nor is it appropriate for them to accept other employment.
- As the Miller bequest requires that research be performed on the Berkeley campus, extended absences from campus should not be planned for the term of the appointment. Travel to meetings of learned societies, to the extent appropriate during a normal academic term, is permitted. Applicants planning extensive travel should consider a one-semester appointment coupled with sabbatical leave for a second semester.
- The Miller Institute office must be notified of absences away from campus, as is required of all faculty members.
- Appointees will submit an End of Term Report to the Miller Institute in a timely manner after the conclusion of the term.
Applicants will be asked to upload the following information into the online application:
- Biographical Information
- Research Proposal (PDF)
- CV (without publications) (PDF)
- Abbreviated Publications List: a self-selected list of the top 10 most representative publications on Google Scholar, Thomson Reuters, or any other discipline-specific metrics of interest/impact, AND all publications in the last 3 years.
- A list of 4 references (at least three from outside of UC Berkeley) who will be contacted directly through the application system to provide feedback on the proposed research.
- The online system will automatically solicit an endorsement from your department chair. Be sure to enter the email address your chair prefers to use for departmental business.
Announcement of Awards
Candidates will be notified of the results in December.
*Applications Being Accepted Online*
Note: Do NOT use Firefox for PDF Uploads
Deadline for Applications: Thursday, September 18, 2014
11:59pm PDT (-7GMT)
If you encounter problems with the online system, please contact the webmaster at: email@example.com
Program questions can be directed to Kathryn Day by phone at 642-4088 or by email at: firstname.lastname@example.org